Monday, June 17, 2013

These are my wheels for this project. I got this bike from Cychotic in St. John's in 2009 after the rear wheel of my old bike exploded. I priced out a new wheel, tire and tube for replacements, and it came out to about three hundred bucks. The guy at the shop knew about all the bicycle advocacy and volunteer work I was doing at the time, and offered to bring in a brand new bike for me _at cost_ for not too much more. It was a deal I could not resist, and this Rocky Mountain and I have been best friends ever since.

Yesterday was not exactly a great day for cycling. The wind was absolutely howling out of the southwest, the exact direction I was riding, and it was very cold. I had on all my layers, I never thought I would need this many, but I tell you I was glad to have them. It was so windy you could've surfed on Pinchgut Lake, and at George's Lake I actually had to get off my bike and walk with it for a few minutes because I was afraid I was going to blow off the road. (The only other time I have ever done this was in southwestern Saskatchewan, where I was momentarily terrified that I might become airborne). I didn't take many breaks, and it took me nine hours, but I did finally make it the 100km to Port-au-Port.

No comments:

Post a Comment